Sunday, December 18, 2011

Time to Think About a Body Clip

While the weather has been unseasonably warm lately, Louie's worked up a pretty decent sweat the past four times I've worked him.  His neck, chest, girth area, belly, thighs, and flanks get pretty sweaty and I've had to use a hair dryer on him in addition to walking him in a cooler to help dry him before putting him back outside again. 

Well that whole procedure is a bit of a pain in the butt (and time consuming!), and while Louie does great and actually loves the warm dryer, I'm thinking I may need to give him a little bit of a body clip to help him cool out quicker.  He's got one of the thickest coats on the farm and several of his pasturemates have at least a partial clip. 

I'm thinking if I do it, we'll start with a very conservative clip like a neck and chest clip (mostly just chest though as Louie doesn't have a hood for his blanket), and if needed, we'll do a low trace clip.  I found a great website with lots of clip patterns:  http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipper-advice/clippers-clipping-advice-horses-types-of-horse-clips.shtml

Anyone have any thoughts, tips or tricks to body clipping?

No comments:

Post a Comment