Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Hack

Louie and I had a nice hack down the road today, in the crisp fall air.  The leaves were beautiful and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.  Louie was very well behaved, but was clearly waiting for some little goblin to jump out from behind a tree.  If I ever wanted a saddle seat horse, I sure had it today!  Louie would relax his neck down at the walk on occasion, but otherwise was on high alert! 

I managed to snap a few pictures on my phone anyhow. 

Our shadow.

We were going to ride down to the public cross country ski trails that are mowed through 80 acres nearby (about 1-2 miles from the barn), but we realized as we got closer and closer that there was very noisy work happening at the gravel pit adjacent to the park and I didn't think that would be the most enjoyable riding experience, so we turned around and rode back home. 

We rode past the hunting preserve to the South of us, thankfully there was no shooting today.


And this hill looks tiny from here, but it's a good size hill with a decent incline- great butt building work!

Other than being very up headed and alert, Louie was pretty well behaved, and we got some nice walk, trot, and canter (right lead- yay!) work out of him.  I hate to trot and canter much on the hard gravel road, but I'm afraid there's no better option right now. 

I do have two more bits of good news. . . Louie will be moving to Sunborn Stables in two weeks, to be able to ride during the winter, maybe longer!  More to come on the new stable soon, but it is a stable specializing in dressage and eventing; we are very excited.  I also just purchased a used dressage saddle that I think is going to work well for us- more on that later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment