Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Heat Wave

We're in the middle of an extreme heat advisory across the entire midwest.  Today the heat index was 119 when I looked at it at 5:00 pm. . . We reached a record for dew point, I want to say 83, but I could be off on that number. 

Any way you cut it, it's HOT!  Way too hot to do anything outside, let alone work horses.  And I feel bad for the horses, sweating just standing there.  Louie's fan broke this week too (bad timing!) so he's been sweated head to toe when I go out to see him in the evenings. 

Lucky for Louie, the barn manager was able to arrange to leave the horses outside overnight, last night and tonight, as it's just way hotter inside the barn with no airfow.  I think the horses are loving it.  Of course there are more bugs outside, but at least they have a breeze, space to roam, and large quantities of water available.  Unfortunately, none of Louie's pasturemates were allowed to stay out overnight, so he's all by himself in his pasture, with  one other horse to seek out for company over a fence.  Either way, I think he's happier outside, I know I would be. 

This all is good practice for him too, as soon Louie is going to become and outdoorsman.  Well, in a sense.  Since the vet recommended I get him out of the stall, Louie is moving to a new barn at the end of the month to be on pasture boarding.  It will be a new experience for him, but I think it will be better for him long-term.  I'm looking forward to letting him be outside enjoying the cool evening breeze soon.  The only thing I'm not looking forward to is winter. . . I have to admit I love having a somewhat warm and decent place to ride in the dead of the winter, gets me through the long depressing cold half of the year.  Well that is one part of the plan, Louie may move to another stable for a couple of months in the winter so that I can ride and get my horse fix when it's too cold to be outside.  Well that's a long ways away, right now we have more heat and humdity than we know what to do with.  We're sweating at the thought of going outside.  Ack!

1 comment:

  1. The heat is creaping our way. We haven't had a drop of rain in two weeks. Yesterday all I did a the barn was give Grey a cool bath, and stand him in front of the fans. 93+ this week Yuck.

    ~SmartAlex

    ReplyDelete