Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hello Winter

Brrrr, what happened to those 86 degree days we had a few weeks ago?  Tonight on my way home from the barn my thermometer said 31.  Yikes!  I guess winter is coming.  Why is it always so much harder to adjust to these mid-range temps (30's-50's) in the fall than the spring?

The past few days have been very rainy and windy, and sharply colder than last week.  I am very glad that I got a new turn-out sheet for Louie, this is exactly the kind of weather that it is good for. 

Tuesday it was so windy that the barn was making all kinds of noises.  Louie was spooooo-ky!  Tonight he was back to his normal self so we went for a drive in the indoor ring.  Not a real hard work out, but a little conditioning for him and other than being a little inconsistent, we had a very nice drive. 

We met a dressage trainer tonight that I may take some lessons with over the winter.  She has an excellent reputation, and is certified to judge up to Grand Prix, in which she has competed.  She seems easy to work with and not set on turning me into a purely dressage rider, understanding that I want to continue to drive and show Louie as a hunter in the Saddlebred shows.  I'm excited to give this a try.  Of course all of those credentials come with a pretty price tag, so I'll be lucky if I can afford bi-weekly lessons.  I think I'm going to give it a try, as I think a dressage trainer will be the best way of getting a nice extended trot out of Louie.  We'll see- more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment