Monday, January 19, 2009

Grapes

Well today I paid a friendly visit to Louie on my way home from work. I stopped by to say hi and give him some pets for what a good boy he was yesterday, and to try to reconcile any hard feelings about the trailering issues. He didn't seem bothered at all and was his usual happy-go-lucky self when I went to visit him out in the paddock. I brought some left over red grapes from my lunch that I didn't finish and thought I'd see if Louie liked them. Much to my suprise he LOVED them and followed me all around the pasture to get more! I don't think grapes are toxic to horses, but I cut him off at about a dozen just incase. It's not the most common treat I hear of horses liking, but what else can you do when your horse doesn't like apples, carrots, peppermints, or store-bought horse treats?! I was happy to see that he actually liked something. And when he likes something- watch out! He's going to be coming back for more. I found this out soon enough as he was scrounging around begging for more. Well, bad Mom for giving my mouthy 3-yr-old treats by hand. . . But I did insist upon a few boundaries. He needed to at least give me space while I got another grape out for him to eat. ;) haha Well now I have ammo for teaching him to bow if I decide to keep working on that. And as much as I am SO tempted to spoil him rotten, I know I shouldn't, so I guess it's a good thing he's picky about treats so it will be harder to keep them around, and thus harder for me to spoil him too much. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Cute...but I can't help you with the grape question. That is one thing I have never tried to feed the horses!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. Ceilings are 12 feet high and I neved cross tie my horses in the isle. I either do it in their stalls or in the wash stall where there are rubber mats.

    ReplyDelete